DAY 2 OF FEELING AWFUL
I can’t remember the last time I actually stopped working, crawled into bed and slept during the day-today was that day. Can you hear me hacking, shivering or whimpering? It’s not really that bad, I just thought I would try to evoke a bit of sympathy. But I do feel pretty horrible.
MY SYMPTOMS-IN CASE YOU WERE WONDERING
- Loss of appetite
- Coughing with phlegm (I hate that word)
- Strong desire to curl up in bed and sleep for weeks
NO OVER- THE- COUNTER MEDS (YET) FOR THIS GROOVY GREEN GIRL
Don’t get me wrong, I take medicine in certain situations. If I have strep or an ear infection-bring on the meds! But I feel like I can get through this one without conventional over-the-counter pharmaceutical help.
NATURAL REMEDIES I HAVE TRIED SO FAR
- Tea-lots of it. Hot or warm liquid can help break up congestion, but tea has extra benefits. Green and black tea contain compounds called theophyllines, which act as an anti-inflammatory and open up airways and ease breathing.
- Took one dose of Boiron Homeopathic Medicine Oscillococcinum for Flu, a homeopathic concoction that I picked up at Whole Foods.
- Chugging water-My body has been losing a lot of water, working overtime to combat this illness. I need to replenish the water and make sure I don’t get dehydrated.
- Sleep, sleep and more sleep-According to experts at The University of Chicago Medical Center, while I’m sleeping my cells are working hard to strengthen my immune system. Much needed at the moment!
- Garlic-Garlic has anti-bacterial properties that help the immune system fight infection. Garlic contains several helpful compounds, including allicin, one of the plant kingdom’s most potent antibiotics.
- Eating well-Although I have little to no appetite, I have been trying to eat healthy foods; limiting processed foods and refined sugars. I am also avoiding dairy products which can lead to increased mucus production-don’t need that.
If only my dear friend/acupuncturist was back from her vacation I would add acupuncture to my list. I know that time and rest will be the ultimate healer. But as I lay here suffering (insert cheesy violin music), I am looking for some suggestions from all you groovy green people out there.
Hit me up with all your home remedies. If they don’t help me, maybe they will help others. I will pick and choose a few and let you know what helped.
p.s. If sympathy was evoked, chocolate and trashy magazines are welcome.
*Disclosure: If you buy the Bioron through the Amazon link it will put a few pennies in my pocket-thanks!
**Top Photo used under Creative Commons from Anders Rueda