When we are searching for a healthy snack popcorn is often the answer. It’s a longstanding favorite in our home. Over the years I’ve tried every way imaginable to make it: in an air popper, in the microwave and on the stove top. My love for microwave popcorn didn’t last long once I learned about the toxic chemicals that are released once the bag is heated. The air popper worked well until we lost the top. I’m seriously baffled by this one. Socks are lost daily, but the top of an air popper?
I wasn’t willing to give up my popcorn fix so I was forced to revert back to old fashioned popcorn on the stove top and it doesn’t disappoint. After several attempts and a few (hundred) burnt kernels I think I have it down pat.
Popcorn is one of those foods that should be cooked in an oil with a high smoke point. I’ve turned to my new favorite oil for the job: coconut oil.
And now the moment you’ve all been waiting for: my secret recipe for the……..
- ½ cup organic popcorn
- 3 Tbsp. coconut oil
- 4 quart or larger pot with lid
- Seasoning of choice
- Place coconut oil in pot along with 2-3 popcorn kernels.
- Cover the pot and heat the oil and few kernels on medium heat.
- Once the few kernels have popped add the remainder of the popcorn and place the lid back on the pot.
- After the kernels have been added remove the pot from the heat for about 30 seconds (a trick I learned from Simply Recipes). Then return the pot to the heat.
- Shake the pot gently every 30 seconds to prevent the kernels from sticking and burning.
- Turn the heat off when there are a few seconds between pops. If you are using an electric stove top, move the pot to a different burner.
- Add your favorite topping. My favorite toppings are nutritional yeast and coarse sea salt.
Popcorn is dairy, gluten and nut free (provided you don’t use peanut oil).
What are your favorite popcorn toppings?
Have you used a Whirley-Pop ?
Amazon link included in this post. If you order through the link it will place a few pennies in my pocket. Thanks!
Linked up with: The Greenbacks Gal, I Thought I Knew Mama
Fatal error: Call to undefined function aarfie_comment_share() in /home/content/43/5955543/html/wp-content/themes/greenlivin/single.php on line 28