The school fundraising packet just arrived. Did you get yours? I browsed through mine and ended up circling wrapping paper, ribbons and more wrapping paper. Every year I scour the fundraising packet for stainless steel or reusable options. There are generally a few eco choices buried behind the piles of wrapping paper and chocolates. Every year I promise myself that I’ll just write a check and call it a day, but then I start circling and find myself ordering reams of wrapping paper and boxes of chocolate. Just what I don’t need.
Why aren’t there eco-friendly fundraising options?
This past spring our schools partnered with NSTAR, our local gas and electric company, for a fantastic fundraising event. We were able to order a variety of CFL bulbs and/or a Smart Strip power strip.
Now there’s another option. MightyNest, one of the Groovy Green Livin’s long-time sponsors. came up with an innovative idea for school fundraising. They launched the MightyNest for Schools program.
For those of you unfamiliar with MightyNest they’re an online shop started by a husband and wife team. Their site is filled with useful information and natural, organic and non-toxic products all in one place. All of their products are free from known toxic ingredients such as: BPA, PVC, Phthalates, Lead, Melamine, Formaldehyde, Flame retardants, Parabens and more.
So what is MightyNest for Schools?
It’s a simple way to raise money while engaging your school community in healthy living.
Here’s how it works:
- Raise money for your school while buying products you’ll love! 15% of every order you place at MightyNest can be donated to an elementary or pre-school of your choosing. Your child’s school, a family member’s school or one in your community: pick the school you’d like to receive a donation from your orders.
- Engage your school community around healthy living! Every school in the program has a community page at schools.mightynest.com. On that page, anyone can earn points towards rewards for their school by pledging to take simple, healthy actions. There’s no purchase required to participate, just simple pledges to live a healthy lifestyle.
It’s that easy.
To celebrate the official launch of MightyNest for Schools, one lucky school will earn a $5000 bonus and as many as 50 others can each earn $250 in prizes. The school with the most points wins!
To get started simply:
- Look-up your school at schools.mightynest.com and join the page.
- Share the page with your family and friends (their purchases and actions count, too)!
- Share the page with your PTA.
Any other ideas for a great ‘green’ fundraiser?