Have you noticed that there seem to be more and more products with a “grassfed” label? And it’s not just beef boasting the label, dairy products from milk to yogurt are also prominently displaying a “100% grassfed” label.
Eager to learn more about this new addition to our labeling system, I had a chance to hear from Tim Joseph, the founder of Maple Hill Creamry and the supplier of the milk for all of Stonyfield’s “100% Grassfed” products. Stonyfield just launched their 100% Grassfed yogurt in four delicious flavors (vanilla, plain, blueberry and strawberry). I know because I had a chance to sample each.
Part of my job as a Stonyfield YoGetter is sharing with you new and exciting products as they make their way onto the shelves in the supermarket. Early this morning I made a quick trip to our local Whole Foods Market and was excited to find Stonyfield Organic 100% Grassfed yogurt already on the shelves.
What is 100% Grassfed?
Healthy cows are happy cows! Cows have been eating grass forever. When we’re talking about true 100% grassfed products, they come from cows who have grazed in pasture year-round rather than being fed a processed diet for much of their life. Without going into too much detail, grass-based dairy farms are efficient, sustainable farming systems free of many of the resource consuming practices of large-scale conventional and organic dairy farms. Organic, grass fed dairy cows are healthier and live about twice as long as conventionally fed cows.
An interesting and confusing piece of the grass fed label is that “grassfed” is NOT a regulated term by the government on dairy products. However, it is regulated when found on beef products. If a product is labeled organic the USDA organic standards require only 30% of a cow’s diet to come from eating in a pasture and the remaining 70% of their diet can be from corn, soy or other fillers.
Benefits of 100% Organic Grassfed
There are so many benefits to eating products made from milk from a grass fed organic cow.
- Milk that comes from 100% grass fed cows has a more flavorful fatty acid profile than from milk from conventionally fed cows. It is higher in omega-3 fatty acids and lower in omega-6 fatty acids (a healthier combination).
- There are no GMOs, synthetic pesticides and herbicides used in organic cow feed or pastures.
- No use of artificial growth (rBGH)hormones.
Stonyfield 100% Grassfed Organic Yogurt
The Stonyfield Maple Hill Creamery team sets joined forces to set a new standard with the creation of Stonyfield 100% Grassfed Organic Yogurt. If you look closely at the yogurt container you’ll see a PCO seal, which means that a third-party verified that the milk used to make the yogurt comes from 100% grass fed cows. The purpose behind this new label is to create traceability and integrity around the grass fed claim.
Stonyfield’s 100% Grassfed yogurt comes in four delicious flavors (vanilla, plain, blueberry and strawberry). I loved the vanilla, as I do with most types of yogurt. It was exceptionally creamy and had a light vanilla flavor. The strawberry and blueberry required a quick stir to mix in the fruit from the bottom. This yogurt is not a low-fat option since it’s made with whole milk. Overall my family gave the yogurt a big thumbs up as a special treat.
Have you tried Stonyfield’s 100% Grassfed yogurt? I would love to know what you think and if you’re able to find it at your local market.
Disclosure: I’m a brand ambassador for Stonyfield Organics. I am compensated and receive product samples. All opinions are always my own.